Compiled by: Dr. Quintin L. Robertson
In 1940 a group of saints began meeting for prayer at
Bishop Riley F. Williams appointed Elder Henry H. Ingram to the church following the 1944 state convocation.† The church was renovated and the sanctuary enlarged under Elder Ingramís leadership.† The new sanctuary was dedicated on the first Sunday in July 1945.
Ingram recommended to the saints that they request Bishop Williams to appoint
Elder George Briley (1913-1975) to pastor the
merger reveals that the roots of the
In 1955 the Fellowship Hall was added to the church on the property next to the church purchased and donated in 1948 by Deacon O. T. Bell, Sr. (1892-1983).† The Fellowship Hall was constructed by Deacon Curtis Trice and consisted of a dining room, classrooms and the pastorís office.
church began broadcasting on WAOK 1380 AM every Sunday evening at 8.† The church flourished and grew so that it
On December 12, 1973 Presiding Bishop J. O. Patterson, Sr. (1912-1989), appointed Elder George Briley to the office of Bishop.† On July 20, 1974 Bishop George Briley was consecrated and installed as the Jurisdictional Prelate of Northwestern Georgia.† Mother Lottie M. Noble (1915-2006) was appointed as the State Supervisor of the Womenís Department.
the 68th International Holy Convocation in
Jonathan Greer II was appointed pastor of the Jones Avenue Church of God in
Christ on February 18, 1977 by Bishop J. O. Patterson, Sr.† The mortgage was paid off on May 9, 1977 and
the church celebrated the Mortgage Burning in October 1977.† Also, in 1977 the church held its fist Tent
Revival and aired the first Thanksgiving Day worship service on
television.† And in 1978 the Easter
(Lordís Day) worship service was held downtown at the
Sunday June 18, 1978 the name of the church was officially changed to Cathedral
of Faith.† The church continued to grow
and expand its outreach via radio, not only in
In May 1998 the church transitioned again under the leadership of Presiding Bishop Chandler D. Owens serving officially as pastor and utilizing Dr. Felton M. Smith, Jr. as interim pastor for a brief period.† In October 1998 Elder Martin D. Johnson was appointed pastor of the church and served until November 2000.† Under Elder Martinís pastorate the church grew financially paying the majority of the old debt and revitalizing the youth and young adult ministry.† In November 2000 Bishop Chandler D. Owens again officially served as pastor utilizing Elder Charles E. Quillen as interim pastor for a period and then using the elders in the church, namely Elder Rudolph Austin and Elder Michael Allred until a pastor was appointed.
March 2002 Elder
The church has and continues to serve as a beacon of light in the community and city drawing hundreds of men and women to Christ.† As Cathedral of Faith continues to minister to the community, the city, the nation and the world; the Cathedral will continue to be grounded in prayer as designed in its foundation and build on that foundation with the preaching of the gospel to men and women everywhere.† By the help of God we continue to build on the foundation and legacy left to us by the pioneers of this great church.